Cancer Community
PET/CT positive lymph nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

PET/CT positive lymph nodes

I had been diagnosed with enlarged mesentary lymph nodes back in January. Last week they had also come up positive (lit up) on a PET/CT. WHAT ARE REASONS THIS WILL HAPPEN? And can they rule out cancer or no? There is a complex cyst cyst in my adnexal area but not lit up or active on the PET/CT. they also made note of the "duodenum now filled with complex hyperdense enhancing polypoid area measuring in size 4x2cm" is it possible the nodes are soley reactive to this? I don't understand how nodes can be positive without an obvious mass. What other reasons would lymph nodes light up on a PET/CT?
Hi, how are you feeling?  Do you have any upper GI discomfort or pain with eating?  If I were you, I would schedule a EGD and get a visual of what's going on with the 4*2 hyperdense polypoid.  That is totally abnormal especially if you were fasting for your PET/CT test.  Good luck!
I shall also add that if you have a personal history of cancer, it could spread to lymph nodes microscopically and after a while, your lymph nodes will light up on scans without a primary tumor.  It's called metachronous metastasis.  Hope that's not your case!  
I had an endoscopy Monday everything was fine on it. I do have a history of cervical cancer and originally that is what they identified it as a reoccurrence but the oncologist says it could not be that because it was 12 years ago. She thinks they are just reactive to this polypoid hyperdense area in the duodeum but I don't believe that because on the first CT the nodes were swollen already but this hyperdense area was not there. And nothing came up on the ct. I'm just so confused. I also don't feel well chronically and I'm sleeping a lot. Thank you for your response. I do have an apt with my primary today to decide the next step.