Pain after gastrectomy. 2 yrs later
My husband had a total gastrectomy due to stage III gastric cancer.  It is now 22 months since the surgery, he is not able to eat hardly anything, he has constant pain in the area of the connection of the esophagus and small intestines,  If he does manage to eat, the food seems to "ball up" and cause more pain.  His pain is almost as bad as before the surgery.  His doctors seem to think this is the way he has to live the rest of his life.  He continues to lose weight (163 pounds lost) and is very week and has poor quality of life.
We are wondering if other patients with this problem, still have pain and unable to eat at this point in the recovery process?
My father is 83 yrs old and had total gastrectomy last November 2011. He finds it very difficult to eat because his flam keeps on accumulating after the meal. I would like to know is this condition due to GERD or bile reflux?

I would like to know is this known as dumping effect also.?

Kindly advise me...