Cancer Community
Painless large lump on lower back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Painless large lump on lower back

I just noticed last night a very large lump on my lower back (almost like a golf ball!!), about 1 inch higher than the end of my spine and just to the right. It does not hurt at all but has a small bruise on the top.

I have no recollection of hitting it and it is not painful at all. I am going to go to the doctor soon (today!) but I just wanted to know if anyone had any idea of what it might be.
Thanks very much

Hi.
It is possible that the painless large lump on your lower back is a lipoma.  This is a benign tumor of fatty tissue origin.  Treatment is usually through excision.  However, other conditions including malignancy can present also as a lump on the lower back.
I agree with your decision to consult your doctor.  A biopsy of the lump may be helpful.
Take care.  
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for your message. The doctor has no idea what it could be. I told him I mountain bike and he reckons it could be a hematoma but it doesn't hurt me at all. I think that it is too high on my back to be related to biking. He gave me a number of a surgeon to call if it does not go away in 6 days.
He said it is unlikely to be a tumor because I have only "noticed it/have it" a couple of days and it would never be that big but I don't really know how long I have had it..
Anyway I will update when I know more