Cancer Community
Painless lump in neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Painless lump in neck

I have had a painless lump in my neck for several years.  It is on the left side in the same area where my lymph nodes typically swell up when I have a cold.  It is behind the upper part of my jaw, below my ear.  It is hard, painless (unless I press it rather hard), immovable and about an inch in size.  I have had two doctors who have been aware of it, but dismissed it.  The first one put me on antibiotics to make it go down, but they did not do anything.  I believe it was first noticed about 6 years ago (after a sinus infection), and I don't believe it has grown since then.  I went to a new doctor a few months ago specifically to get this checked.  He felt my neck and at first couldn't find it until I showed him...then he said he wouldn't worry about it unless it grows in size.

I'm just wondering if I should pursue this further?  I realize there's a chance it could be lymphoma, and that scares me...but I have had no other symptoms that would indicate cancer.  I do, however, have chronic sinus congestion, and it has always been worse on the left side (mucus in nose, ear wax, and sore throats).  Could it be that my lymph node is "stuck" trying to fight off my sinus problems?  I also have mild hypothyroidism, but I don't think that's related due to the location of the lump.
Avatar n tn
I forgot to mention that I am a 28-year-old female.
Avatar n tn
i have a lump like this but its lower down not nere lymph nodes and by my coller line just a bit higher. I noticed it once i started loosing weight. I also have had to get glasses but im not sure if its related. I had perfect vision and in less than 6 months, I went to 20-40 20-50. I thnik this might be conected. No doctors have noticed this lump. Please comment back.
Hi Cariadlawn,

I'm a 22 year old female and I have the same painless lump in the same spot as you. I've had it for a little over a year. I read a lot of stuff on the internet about lymphoma and it scared me too. I said to myself that when I see a Dr. he or she better not give me antibiotics and dismiss it because I read how that happened to so many people and it didn't work and I knew it wasn't from an infection because I had it for so long. I finally went to the Dr a few days ago and she had me get blood work and is referring me to an Oncologist to check out the lump and get a biopsy. I was glad that she didn't blow it off like it was nothing but at the same time it worries me. I think you should see another Dr and demand they do more and figure out what it really is. It could be nothing so try not to worry too much about it.
Hi I wondering if you managed to find out what the issue is ? I'm 29 year old female with the exact same issues as you and cariadlawn I'm having a biopsy next week but just curious as to what they found you had ?
I have the exact same thing.., on the right side. What did they find?
I am dealing with the exact same issue. I have a hard lump that is about an inch to 1.5 inches beneath my right ear right behind my jawline. It is also hard and presents with the same congestion/sinus issues that were described above. Has anyone received any answer's to what this is? My father passed from throat cancer that had spread throughout his lymph nodes and throat at the age of 48. My IM has brushed it off as sinus/allergy issues due to my age. (37)
I'm 19 years old. I have the exact same thing. Two painless bumps, one below the other on the left side of my neck. And one bump behind my left ear right on the bone. I've had them for years but never had them checked out. The top bump on my neck feels like its gotten slightly bigger in the past week or so. I don't what to go to the doctor and embarrass myself if its nothing. But I also don't want to not do anything about it. What should I do?