Cancer Community
Pancreatic cancer question, end of life

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Pancreatic cancer question, end of life

Hi, I just have a couple of questions regarding my grandmother, who is currently in a hospice home and was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in July.

Currently, she hasn't been responding verbally for the past couple days. My dad had asked her to close her eyes for a second if she understood him, which she did not do. She is unable to speak, walk, use the restroom, or basically do much of anything anymore. She has a collapsed lung, among many of her pains and ailments caused by the cancer. She has has hallucinations, obvious confusion about her surroundings,  changing breathing patterns, and the desire not to live. During stay at hospice, and even before, she had spent most of her day sleeping. For the past couple of days, she has been awake throughout the whole day and most of the night. Which is very unusual. I was just wondering roughly how much time she had left, and if these symptoms were normal.. I know some of them are, but I am very confused about her very small ability to communicate with the outside world. She has gotten through every milestone and goal she has set for herself and has surpassed every time limit given to her by doctors, so it does not surprise me she has made it this far. I am just curious for some input by somebody else. Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. The question how long do not have an exact answer because this depends on a variety of factors such as her condition, her over-all health, symptoms present, physical examination, co-morbid conditions and results of diagnostics. For proper evaluation, it is best that you discuss this with her doctor. Take care and best regards.