Pancreatic insufficiency, PET + abdominal nodes now swollen URQ
I was just diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency with a pancreatic elastase 1 test of 48 g/g (normal being = >200) this test came after a positive P.E.T. of retropereneal lymph nodes and an inability to get to them to biopsy because of the risk. I've had pain within the area of my RUQ BUT  I recently found that IT IS ALSO SWOLLEN. I'VE HAD MY GALLBLADDER OUT, NO TRAUMA AND I HAVE BEEN HAVING A BIT OF PAIN IN MY RIGHT SHOULDER AS WELL. what could this be? It is about an inch below my sternum and on the right side underneath and toward the midsection. It is a dull but intermittent with more pressing pain. I had an ultrasound that showed only a 8 mm swelling of the common bile duct that was blown off to the post gallbladder removal. The exocrine pancreatic function worries me coupled with the nodes and swelling. I'm a bit confused about all this. The Dr (gastroenterologist) called in a script for the enzyme supplements but did not explain why this is happening. And with the swelling there are no answers as well as why the nodes are chronically enlarged. I was only given a referral to a oncologist and told maybe I should also get a work up from a Hemotologist. I have too many specialists who  just refer me to another and a primary who can't put it together. I just don't even know who to go to about this anymore, I'm lost! Please, any advice is welcome-I've been in a lot of pain of late. I don't even know why. Thanks,
I understand your concern regarding your laboratory results and symptoms. Pancreatic Elastase (PE), a simple test assessing exocrine pancreatic function in suspected cases of pancreatic insufficiency, may be reduced in patients with diabetes; or  impaired in patients who had their gallbladder removed.  Also, pancreatic function decreases with age as a result of possible  inadequate nutrient metabolism especially if undiagnosed or untreated for a prolonged time. It is best that you discuss the result with your gastroenterologist for proper evaluation. Pancreatic insufficiency may also be associated  with gastrointestinal symptoms including  pain or nausea, loose or watery stools, as well as gastroesophageal reflux symptoms. Hope this helps. Take care and do keep us posted.