Cancer Community
Pet Scan results
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pet Scan results

I had a PET scan today for possible lung cancer; this was all clear, but my thyroid had a high uptake value and was highlighted on the scan.  Is this likely cancer on my thyroid?
Related Discussions
158939_tn?1274918797
Ask your doctor for a thyroid ultrasound.  Thyroids absorb iodine at very high rate and if there was any iodine in the prep they used on your PET scan that could explain the results (but could mean that healthy thyroid tissue absorbed the iodine - NOT necessary cancerous tissue).  

The easiest way to check for suspicious thyroid nodules would be a simple thyroid ultrasound.  Thyroid cancer usually doesn't absorb the radio-tracer as much as other cancers.  Ultrasound is the first scan of choice to analyze any abnormalities of the thyroid.

Best of everything

Utahmomma
papillary carcinoma (thyroid cancer) '03, second surgery '03, recurrence and RAI '06
three sisters with papillary carcinoma (one with three recurrences/RAI and distant metastases)
another sister and daughter with precancerous thyroid nodules requiring thyroid removal
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...