Cancer Community
Port pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Port pain

I have an implanted Bard port below my collar bone implanted in 2006.  I'm finished w/chemo. but the port hurts and I have to keep it in for 2 years.  It burns like a bee sting for about 2 weeks after flushing it and it always sort of aches, I'm afraid to lift or move my arm too much because then it really hurts.  Has anyone had this problem and if so what did you do?
My hubby has taken CHOP for NHLymphoma - T cell.  He is now on ICE -
He has elected to take a modified ICE treatment as an outpatient -- and now Dr. says he needs to reduce it down by 20% as his blood counts are not good.
It has been 6 weeks since his last chemo and today his neck was as big as his head; not swollen lymph nodes, just big and puffy like he is on steroids, which he is not.  Any ideas?

Also...will delaying his chemo this much hinder his ability to fight the disease.
sorry...
Burning like a bee sting isn't common after flushing a port, especially for 2 weeks.  What did your physician say about that?

Patients with ports can move their arms without concern that it will dislodge or otherwise affect the port.

Enoch Choi, MD
Neck swelling to the extent that the diameter is as large as the head is abnormal, especially if it came all of a sudden.  That's worth getting prompt attention for.

Enoch Choi, MD
I had x-ray and ultrasound on the port and the Dr. said all ok, but that was in Dec. and I'm still having pain so now they want me to have an "IR study"  and I need to find out exactly what that is - I think IR stands for Interventional Radiology.  
I'm on Chops now for NHL Large Cell. What is ICE I've never heard of this?
if chemo is over the port can come out it's just a matter of preference to leave it in. in my case it took 2 months for the discomfort & itching went away. the thought of having it taken out, going thru the healing, only to have to have fr=urther treatment have another port put in, time for that to heal......easier to just leave it in & have it flushed periodically. Well,don't you know meanwhile, the line from the port broke, it had crimprd all along. So I had to have the piece removed so it didn't travel to mu heart or lung. I had the old one taken out & the new one out in last tuesday in prep for my chemo I'll be starting soon. If you're having all these problems just have it taken out. if you need one in the future it's so quick & easy to have another put in, and hopefully a better job will be done. you shouldn't have those problems in the first place.
How's chemo going?

Enoch Choi, MD