Cancer Community
Possible exposure to carcinogens?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Possible exposure to carcinogens?

Hi, I am new to this forum and I apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum to be posting in...it's my best guess.

Anyways, the story is as follows: Today, I visited my friend in a 4th year biology laboratory and I am worried I may have been exposed to carcinogens or some chemicals that cause cancer. I know for a fact that this lab deals with many chemicals that can potentially cause cancer when ingested / inhaled. The general rule of thumb is to always be wearing gloves when working in the lab. I had simply walked into the lab and waited for my friend to finish his experiment. I rested my hands as I leaned back on the counter next to the sink. I know for a fact that the counter was dry. My left eye became a bit itchy and I rubbed my left palm into my left eye to "itch" it. After that, my eye got more irritated and I got concerned. I told my friend that I touched the counter and then my eye and it's getting irritated. So I went for an eye wash and washed my hands with water and soap.

While my friend didn't think it was a concern although he said he has no idea what was on the counter before it was wiped down, he said I shouldn't worry. However, I just wanted to get a second opinion from people as to whether I should be concerned or not. I know the details are vague, but I also know that a lot of chemicals used in that lab are considered "carcinogens". If I should be concerned, what is the next step in terms of figuring this mess out?

Thanks for any and all help. I am very worried.