Cancer Community
Possible exposure to carcinogens?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Possible exposure to carcinogens?

Hi, I am new to this forum and I apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum to be posting in...it's my best guess.

Anyways, the story is as follows: Today, I visited my friend in a 4th year biology laboratory and I am worried I may have been exposed to carcinogens or some chemicals that cause cancer. I know for a fact that this lab deals with many chemicals that can potentially cause cancer when ingested / inhaled. The general rule of thumb is to always be wearing gloves when working in the lab. I had simply walked into the lab and waited for my friend to finish his experiment. I rested my hands as I leaned back on the counter next to the sink. I know for a fact that the counter was dry. My left eye became a bit itchy and I rubbed my left palm into my left eye to "itch" it. After that, my eye got more irritated and I got concerned. I told my friend that I touched the counter and then my eye and it's getting irritated. So I went for an eye wash and washed my hands with water and soap.

While my friend didn't think it was a concern although he said he has no idea what was on the counter before it was wiped down, he said I shouldn't worry. However, I just wanted to get a second opinion from people as to whether I should be concerned or not. I know the details are vague, but I also know that a lot of chemicals used in that lab are considered "carcinogens". If I should be concerned, what is the next step in terms of figuring this mess out?

Thanks for any and all help. I am very worried.
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank