Cancer Community
Possible lymphoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Possible lymphoma

About 3 1/2 weeks ago I noticed a small hard immovable lump on the left side of my neck in the posterior cervical lymph area. I made an appointment to see my doctor right away and was told come back in two weeks and we will re-evaluate it. Well two days later another lump, a little ****** appeared right above the first one. I went to my dr. She ordered blood work and said follow up in a week unless anymore appear. Well...another appeared right under my jaw where it meets my throat. This one being the biggest. I again went to my dr. My CBC came back normal. She ordered an ultrasound...and it was 3 weeks away due to the size and patients going to Madigan army medical center....it takes forever to get appointments...so I scheduled an ultrasound for three weeks away but called multiple times a day for a cancellation I could jump into. A week later...I got the ultrasound, and another lump under my jaw where it curves up toward my ear. A few days later I saw my dr. Again and it turns out the nodes I have are vascular And very odd shaped. Mind you I have had no illness in about six months....nothing. So she put a request in for me to get a ct scan and to see a general surgeon for biopsy. I got my ct scan, and it turns out there are quite a few of these lumps all through out my neck that I'm unable to feel. I saw the surgeon and he reviewed my ct and didn't mention any of this to me (my regular dr called to give me results) and so the surgeon wants to put me on antibiotic for two weeks......ugh! I have now been on the antibiotics for a week, and now have a total of 8 lumps. Now, the lymphoma word has been mentioned, but not a lot for the fear of freaking me out. But I do feel black balled by my surgeon. Any help or opinions or e pertinence s would help me...
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present?  It is good that you were able to see your doctor and had initial tests done already. The lumps could also be due to a variety of issues such as inflamed lymph nodes brought about by possible infection, lymphoma, and benign cysts. While lymphoma may present with swelling in the neck, underarm, or groin; it may also present with nonspecific symptoms such as fever, chills, unexplained weight loss, night sweats, lethargy, and itching. Additional diagnostic tests such as complete physical exam as well as personal and family medical histories, and imaging techniques such as ct scans, MRI or even lymphangiogram may also be done. Biopsy may also be indicated for definite diagnosis. Do continue the antibiotics as prescribed and discuss the management with your attending physician or surgeon on your follow-up to ease any anxiety. Take care and do keep us posted. Best regards.