Cancer Expert Forum
Post Mastectomy Drain Problems and Seroma
About This Forum:

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Post Mastectomy Drain Problems and Seroma

I had a bilateral mastectomy last week and came home with drains on both sides.  The day after I was released from the hospital I took a shower, because I had been told I could.  Shortly thereafter the drain on the right side stopped working.  It wouldn't keep the suction.  I saw the surgeon again thinking he would somehow fix the drain.  Instead he removed it.  I was told anything invasive could cause infection.  I immediately developed seroma.  Now the drain on the other side seems to losing its vacuum suction.  Are the drains really that important?  I called the surgeon's office and talked to the nurse.  The impression I got is that it isn't that important and I should just wait until my next appointment.  I also get the impression I being labeled a problem patient and  don't want to make things worse.  Should I just ignore this and wait until my next appointment, or is this something that should be taken care of?  It is already painful.  Without either drain, will the seroma get worse?  I am already tired of this.