Cancer Community
Post Whipples - blood in urine - NEED ANSWERS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

My husband had a whipples procedure last August, after a month of hospitalization and numerous tests including 2 colonoscopy's and upper gastric scopings. He is diabetic now and on Gliclizide to control his bloodsugars with diet. He is taking Capecitabine (chemo) (8 rounds) and is on his 5th round showing minimal side effects as outlined in his information package. This past week he has noticed blood in his urine, and is wondering if it is a side effect from the chemo, or if it is a possible kidney problem from the intestinal cleaning solutions they gave him in the hospital last July? How can you find out what they use to clear the bowel for a colonoscopy at any particular hospital? Should he
talk to his cancer doctor or to his family physician? What tests should he have done to identify any possible kidney problems related to the procedures he has already endured?

I am not a doctor but I have been doing a lot of research on my fathers behalf who has kidney cancer.  I do believe that blood in the urine can be from the chemo and must be discussed with your doctor. I know that my father was told  to drink lots of water to help flush the chemo through his system so the chemicals would not cause damage and/or bleeding.