Cancer Community
Pre-cancerous cells on cervix
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pre-cancerous cells on cervix

The pathology results after my D&C removal of a uterine polyp showed HPV 58.  Six weeks prior to that, my pap smear had shown HPV 64. (Pre-cancerous cells on my cervix).  My gynecologist is concerned for two reasons:

1 - I have had irregular results on pap smears, requiring culposcopy 3 times in the past 8 years.
2 - The latest cell - with marker HPV 58, appears to have grown in 6 weeks.

She did a culposcopy while I was there for my D&C surgery follow-up due to the pathology results.  She also scheduled a LEEP procedure to remove the abnormal cells from my cervix for next week.

I am assuming I will have the culposcopy results back by that time, and am hoping to learn more about the abnormal cells that are to be removed.  I have a few questions that I am hoping to have answered so I will have a better understanding of what I'm hearing when I get those results.

1 - I have seen conflicting information  on the internet concerning CIN 1, 2 or 3.  One web site lists CIN 2 as Stage 0 cancer and CIN 3 as stage 1 cancer................ While another web site listed All three CIN levels as PRE-cancer and not actually having cancer until it surpasses CIN 3.  Can someone please clarify this better for me?

2 - When she cuts out this abnormal area of my cervix, I am scheduled to have repeat pap smears every 3 months.  Will this continue for a year or so, longer, indefinately??  or does this depend on my biopsy results??

3 - When she cuts out the abnormal area, how much will I need to be concerned about it growing back?  Are my chances increased because I had it in the past or is that irrelevant??  

Thanks for any information you can give me.  I want to be as informed as possible when I go back for the LEEP procedure and hear these results.  I don't want to forget to ask anything or be so blown away by what I'm hearing that I can't think straight (which is often the case, like it was when I heard the "pre-cancerous" results this past Monday).

Thank you,
Amy