Cancer Community
Question. Please Help...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Question. Please Help...

Ok, my mom of Cervical cancer when she was 32.. I was 14 year's old... I am now 25. The same age she was when she was diagnosed...My question is, what are the chances of me getting cervical cancer ? I have had 1 abnormal pap and found out 10 year's ago that I had HPV due to a rape.... But I caught it early and now the disease is gone completely..... What are my chances ?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  Your risk of developing cervical cancer increases only when the HPV infection becomes persistent (does not go away for two years after it was first detected).  When this happens, the virus has a chance of integrating with the DNA of cells in the cervix, subsequently causing mutations and eventually, cancer.  Most HPV infections, however, resolve quickly and are not persistent. In these cases, the virus does not stay long enough to induce changes which lead to cancer.  My question is: how long did your HPV infection last? If your infection did not last, then you shouldn't worry too much about developing cervical cancer.

One other thing: When did you have that pap smear done which showed abnormal results? And what was the abnormality? I'm just asking since this may help me answer your questions better.
It was about 10 year's ago. And the diagnosis was HPV... ( TMI, but I was raped and got that because of it)..... I had it treated early and now am no longer carrying the virus. Thank you.
I also think there is a higher risk due to the type of HPV as well, some not even carrying the same risk of causing cancer in the first place.  Don't know if that helps.

I was raped and contracted Hep C as a result, for which I am currently undergoing treatment, so I know how difficult these things can be.
Oh sorry, didn't see that you'd already had a physician answer.  You've already gotten better help than I could give you for your question ;)