Cancer Community
Question. Please Help...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Question. Please Help...

Ok, my mom of Cervical cancer when she was 32.. I was 14 year's old... I am now 25. The same age she was when she was diagnosed...My question is, what are the chances of me getting cervical cancer ? I have had 1 abnormal pap and found out 10 year's ago that I had HPV due to a rape.... But I caught it early and now the disease is gone completely..... What are my chances ?
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi.  Your risk of developing cervical cancer increases only when the HPV infection becomes persistent (does not go away for two years after it was first detected).  When this happens, the virus has a chance of integrating with the DNA of cells in the cervix, subsequently causing mutations and eventually, cancer.  Most HPV infections, however, resolve quickly and are not persistent. In these cases, the virus does not stay long enough to induce changes which lead to cancer.  My question is: how long did your HPV infection last? If your infection did not last, then you shouldn't worry too much about developing cervical cancer.

One other thing: When did you have that pap smear done which showed abnormal results? And what was the abnormality? I'm just asking since this may help me answer your questions better.
Blank
373683_tn?1219000812
It was about 10 year's ago. And the diagnosis was HPV... ( TMI, but I was raped and got that because of it)..... I had it treated early and now am no longer carrying the virus. Thank you.
Blank
264121_tn?1313033056
I also think there is a higher risk due to the type of HPV as well, some not even carrying the same risk of causing cancer in the first place.  Don't know if that helps.

I was raped and contracted Hep C as a result, for which I am currently undergoing treatment, so I know how difficult these things can be.
Blank
264121_tn?1313033056
Oh sorry, didn't see that you'd already had a physician answer.  You've already gotten better help than I could give you for your question ;)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank