Cancer Community
Question regarding lymph nodes and chest x-ray
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Question regarding lymph nodes and chest x-ray

I saw my family doc last week and am concerned over his response to some swollen lymph nodes. I am female and 57 years old. A few months ago I noticed an obvious lump in my abdomen. I was not overly concerned as it is directly behind some incisions I had for a surgery back in 2003. In fact, I thought it was scar tissue building up. It is dead center in mid abdomen. Then I began getting headaches and while rubbing the back of my neck from headache and also stiff neck I found a large lump on the left side on the back of my neck. It is almost directly on hairline and seems it is right at the area where head ends and neck begins. I thought it was in the muscle and my headache was a tension type.Not so. I had Doc check it and he says it is large swollen lymph node as is lump in stomach.

He called this a "lymphadenopathy" and ordered a chest x-ray. I will have that done tomorrow. But, my chest is not on my neck, nor in my stomach, so I am now wondering about why this is his choice of tests? It is the only test he ordered. I could understand a test being done where these nodes actually are but what is his reasoning for a chest x-ray? We were discussing that and other things and it did not even occur to me how odd this seemed until long after I had left his office.

Can you please explain to me what he could be looking for by ordering a chest x-ray for these symptoms? I do not have an obvious cough although when I lay down I get some what of a cough. But we did not even discuss a cough or s.o.b. or anything to do with my chest.

Any information is very appreciated.