Cancer Community
Rare Lymphocytes and rare 0-1/OIF White blood cells in CSF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

I recently had a spinal tap after a year of battling TIA's or hemiplegic migraines.  Last year after reviewing the MRI report, the report showed 4 anatomical abnormalities - nothing else and I was put on medication that made me sick for a year.  The only other thing that was hig on my blood work was MO# and I believe MVH (or MCH, I have to check).

Another doc recommended a spinal tap.  It shows rare lymphocytes (not malignant) and rare white blood cells in the CSF.  I'm wondering the normalcy of these things and also what might they further research be done to understand what is causing the head pain.  Thanks for your help.  It has been a long road (as I'm sure for many here) to understand and educate oneself.  
Tags: csf, lymphocytes, rare OIF White Blood Cells
Hi there! I notice you're new to MedHelp. Welcome! You've posted to the Multiple Sclerosis community, which sounds like it may not be directly related to what you're asking. You probably found us because many of us have had lumbar punctures as part of our diagnostic work up (in other words, our little corner of the web is filled with LP-related questions and information).

But, to your point... (and this will be anticlimactic) I have no idea what your results could mean. For MS diagnostic purposes, they are looking for what are called 'oligoclonal bands' that appear in the cerebrospinal fluid but not in the blood sample taken at the same time. Our results do usually make mention of a lot of other information, but it's usually not what our doctors are looking for so the results you mention above are Greek to me! Perhaps someone else will stop by and add to that.

Do you have an upcoming appointment at which you could go over these results with the professionals? If there is an abnormality there, hopefully this result helps them pinpoint what's at the root of your medical issues.
That is the interesting part. The neurologist I was seeing was insistent that I take Topiramate.  It was making me very sick.  While in Ohio traveling for work I had to go to ER for chest and head pain and was admitted.  The neurologist in Ohio recommended 2 alternative medications and possibly a spinal tap.  My treating neurologist didn't agree, he said the medications would make me fat and that he doesn't understand why I wont take the other medication when he prescribes even for people who don't have my symptoms.  I tried seeing another Neurologist yesterday (there are few where I live) and he indicated that because I once saw another nuerologist in the city he wont see me.  I have a follow up with the original neurologist next week but since I left his office crying last time while he yelled at me for not taking that medication, I'm not hopeful.  Should I repost to the main site? And thank you for responding.