Cancer Community
Re- occurring throat tumour

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Re- occurring throat tumour

My father was diagnosed with throat cancer 3 and half months ago . There was a tumour found in his throat. He went through a surgery to remove the tumour . He had to remove his voice box and some muscle from his throat which was replace by his chest muscles . He had to breathe through a hole made in his chest. He got fed through a tube in his stomach. After the surgery he was getting better and had to wait nearly 4 weeks for his radio and chemo therapy. During that period he developed an infection in his throat . There was a leakage found in his neck. He was admitted in the hospital again and now after two weeks there has been two tumour developed inside and outside his neck. The doctor had his biopsy and told us they cannot be able to cure him further anymore. Now he is in the hospital helpless and weak. I have tried to refer him to another consultant at The Royal Marsden Hospital and we are waiting for there response . Can anyone give us any good suggestions and recommendation to help him fight the CANCER ?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, understand your anxiety; it is difficult to see close relatives go through health problems. If a tumor cannot be removed surgically or if there is a re occurrence of the tumor, it is usually treated with radiotherapy or chemotherapy. There are other possibilities like immunotherapy and biological therapies. In addition the patient is given palliative supportive care. Discuss the possibilities with his treating doctor and the referral consultant. Good Luck with his treatment. Regards.

Thank you for your suggestions . I will try to talk with the consultant regarding these therapies .