Re-occurring boils on head following surgery
I had a major foot operation in August 2012. Shortly after I started getting painful boils on my scalp. I showed them to my surgeon who blew me off & said it was probably a spider bite. When they started spreading I finally went to a dermatologist who cultured it & said it was se sort of bacterial infection, but not staph. It has been 6 months now & I have been on 2500 mg of antibiotics for pretty much the past 6 months. I've tried scrubbing head with bacterial scrub, apple cider vinegar, distilled vinegar, etc., but they only help temporarily. Before the boils occur, I get really bad headaches & my scalp feels bruised like someone hit me in the head. Then a few days later, I get pus-filled boils in groups of 4 or more all over my scalp, neck & some times down my chin line. My derma has referred me to an infectionous disease Dr, but it's going to take months to get in with them. In the meantime, she wants to biopsy the boils & see what is going on. What could be causing this & what would she be looking for on a biopsy?
Hi there,
There are several conditions which can cause painful recurrent boils on the scalp. Acne, dandruff, follculitis, furunculosis are few of them. Other than bacterial fungus like Malassezia furfur and viruses like herpes can also lead to folliculitis and repeated boils on the scalp. Cysts can also give rise to boils on the head. Take a healthy diet rich in vitamins, minerals and proteins to boost your immunity. Drink plenty of water. Consult a dermatologist for precise review and treatment of your condition. Do keep me posted.
Best wishes and regards!