Cancer Community
Sarcoma in lower right abdomen?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Sarcoma in lower right abdomen?

The sarcoma I have is 9cm and has not spread to anywhere else and is localized. I am having a biopsy done on it but when it comes to the surgery itself the doctor talked about radiation may being used. I really wouldn't want to have that as well as the surgery and wondered if you don't have to have radiation therapy at that size of a tumor.
Hi!
All localized sarcomas are removed by surgery. However, any cancer has the tendency to invade into neighboring tissue and even a single cell which is not otherwise caught on PET or other imaging and pathological study has the potential to spread and cause recurrence. Hence usually surgery is either preceded or followed by either chemotherapy or radiotherapy. You have just overheard the discussion, so do not really know in what context the doctors were discussing. Please discuss your treatment plan in detail with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.