Cancer Community
Sensitive and swollen neck lymph nodes for years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Hello out there,

I have had a swollen lymph node on the left side of my neck for about 4 years now. I had it tested, and was told I was fighting off an infection multiple times. Fast forward to 2009. That lymph node and also sometimes my right one are now sensitive, and I feel twangs of slight pain now and again. The tricky thing is I don't have any other signs of lymphoma. I sleep fine, I have a strong appetite.

The only thing I noticed was that I felt sensitivity after drinking alcohol. I drink only about once a week, and not a lot, so it's hard for me to be sure about that one. It was also discovered that I have a small cyst next to my left lymph node, but a sonogram showed it to be nothing of concern. I wish I had an easier time believing that.

I saw an infectious disease specialist, and he said he feels comfortable with me doing nothing. He wrote up a CT scan order for me just to satisfy my worry. I'm waiting until after Jan 1 to make the appointment, but I've been feeling tingling in my modes for a few days consistently now, and I'm getting worried. Is it possible that I have something serious that would pass as a simple infection? Something that would swell my lymph node for 4 years without detection?

I worry about this off and on, but it's rather intense lately. If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thank you, and happy New Year :)

hey my names marissa im 14 and i started out like tht only without the alchol probs haha, only it was only my right side turned out i have thyroid cancer, i dont wanna freak you out but i was born without my left thyroid but my right one is cancerous it started out as a painful lump 2, if i were you id go se a endocrinologist. have them check it out. hope every thing goes okay! dont be worried!!
Thanks for the insight, it is very appreciated. I wasn't even aware of what an endocrinologist does! I'm going to get a CT scan soon, so we'll see what they find. Thanks again, and I certainly hope your thyroid cancer is doing better.