Cancer Community
Should I be worried? (Underarm tenderness)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Hi, I am a 20 year old female. For quite a while I have been experiencing underarm tenderness and slight pain that I have always attributed to skin irritation from shaving, but now I'm not sure. It's in both armpits, but slightly worse on the left side. I have felt around to see if I could find a swollen lymph node or lump, but I can't tell if what I'm feeling are "normal" muscle lumps in the armpit or lumps that shouldn't be there... it especially hurts when I press right in the middle of my armpit, and I can't feel any lumps there, but when I press the pain is there and almost radiates down my arm. It also hurts badly when I pinch just my armpit skin together in that spot, which is what made me think originally that it was just a skin thing...

I've been told by a doctor in the past that if you have harmful swollen lymph nodes in your armpits, it feels like you have rocks in your armpits when you put your arms down. Well it's not nearly that bad, but I'm still sort of concerned about it.

My questions are: what does a swollen lymph node *really* feel like in the armpit? Is what I'm describing enough to warrant a trip to the doctor? I don't have any other really disturbing symptoms...

I should also mention that I had a blood check a few months ago due to what turned out to be a harmless swollen gland in my neck, and everything blood-wise came back normal.

I think I'm probably just nervous because my friend (also 20) was recently diagnosed with lymphoma, and her first symptom was a painful, swollen armpit lymph node, so I'm kind of on high alert about my own physical health... but any insight would be appreciated! Thank you