Cancer Expert Forum
Should I be worried about incurable cancer?

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

I am 42.  I had a mammogram at 40 and 41 and both were clean.  I had one a week ago and got a call today from the nurse stating that they found a 2 cm nodule on the upper rt. breast and are sending me in a few days for additional pictures and for an ultrasound.  Because I have had regular mammograms, what are the odds that this would be a cancer (if it is one) that cannot be deadly.  Thanks
I can better address your worries if I could get the exact text of the radiology report. All lumps, masses, nodules etc in mammograms are given a number according to a system we call the "BIRADS". This is a scale that classifies mammograms into normal, benign, suspicious, and malignant.
In your case, I do not know what exactly are the characteristics of the nodule. Do you have any symptoms? Pain, especially around the menstrual period? Do you have any family history of breast cancer or other cancers?
All the best, and God Bless!
Hi have you had your right nipple inverted( or retracted ) in the past year? My left nipple has been inverted for just over a year. I have had mammograms that were basically normal, I have calcification. But in my left breast the MRI said I had a nodule that was suspicious for invasive carcinoma. Yet the biopsy was benign.I am still having sharp pains in this breast as well as my upper back and ribcage(on the left side) . I just went back to the Breast Care clinic and a female dr tells me "breast pain *****" so just learn to live with it was the implication!
It is good that you are going for an US but if they are concerned and you are having symptoms maybe an MRI is better. I also had a clear discharge, when the drs did my exam. This particular dr did no exam  though.

Seven years ago, after I got my yearly mammogram (which I DO get each year) I was told to get an ultrasound the next day.  The ultrasound confirmed that I had cancer in one breast.  After I had a mastectomy, the report said that I had STAGE 3 cancer (which is very aggressive-- and remember stage 4 cancer is not cured!, so I was pretty close to being a non-cure case) I still do not understand how I got that bad of a cancer because the year before my mammogram read that it was normal--no cancer!
Well, here is the GOOD NEWS--It has been 7 years and I am still here, and the cancer has not returned!   After my mastectomy, I had had 8 strong chemos, and 36 rounds of radiation, and I took the anti-cancer pill for 5 years.  Guess all of that worked!  Best Wishes to you!