Cancer Expert Forum
Should I get a second opinion?

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

Should I get a second opinion?

Hi Doctor,
              30yo male here in very good shape and health.  Recently went to my GP because I wanted his opinion on a swollen lymph node (posterior cervical) that has been swollen for at least over a year.  I discovered it in Oct of 2010, but it's smaller than 1cm (possibly 8mm) and due to the lack of other symptoms, i've been putting it off.  He seems to think that since it's on the smaller side and is soft (not firm), there's not much need for concern.  It has not changed size or shape since i've discovered it, but i'm just wondering if I should get a second opinion about it, and see if it should be biopsied.  Any thoughts?  Your advice is much appreciated!
Dear sethmo1300,

I agree with your physician that the enlarged lymph node is not of concern. The reasons are:

1. The size less than 1 cm
2. It has not enlarged for over a year.
3. You have no other symptoms like fever and weight loss
4. Posterior cervical lymph nodes are often found swollen in many individual and are suggestive of active body defences which aim to localize and destroy any mild infection.

Hence, I feel that there is no need for a biopsy.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Indranil Ghosh
Hello?
Thanks for your input, Doctor....Much appreciated.

Best Wishes,
                Seth