Cancer Community
Shut off pacemaker for clinical trial?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Shut off pacemaker for clinical trial?

Hello, my wife is suffering from uterine cancer.  We have ran through most of the chemotherapy drugs that she is able to tolerate, but still the cancer is spreading.  There have been several clinical trial therapies available, but she was not eligible, because she has a pacemaker.  Is it possible--has it ever been done--to shut down the pacemaker for the duration of the clinical trial, then, possibly, turn the pacemaker back on?  Without the pacemaker, she will experience dizziness, possibly fainting, and cannot drive an automobile, but she does not need the pacemaker to actually live.  Thanks, in advance, kemacomputer
No, I have NEVER seen this done.  No way would a physician agree to that in my opinion.