Cancer Expert Forum
Skin cancer concern

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

Skin cancer concern

Thank you for this service.

I am stressing with worry so I would really appreciate some insight.

Almost two years ago I was diagnosed with a nodular basal cell carcinoma on my right cheek. At the time, it was about 1 and a half cm in size.

It was completely excised with clear margins by a plastic surgeon.

My question is about potential spread throughout my body. I have become worried that maybe it got into my body. Before diagnosis, I was mislead by a pharmacist into thinking it was fungal so I tried some remedies to shift the spot. One of the remedies was to use diluted bleach. I know, very stupid. It burnt the surface of my skin over the spot and around it, causing it to peel and scab over.

My question is, would this trauma have caused internal spread that the doctors may not have picked up?

I am told BCC does not spread and is locally invasive, but I have issues with anxiety and I cannot stop worrying.

Does trauma of any kind to BCC skin cancer facilitate its spread?

Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Dear matt24,

Thanks for the query.

I am glad to know that your basal cell cancer was detected early and was appropriately treated by surgery with clear margins. That means the chance of recurrence at the same site are very low.

You are absolutely right about the fact that basal cell cancers rarely spread to distant sites. Trauma is NOT known to facilitate its spread. So please do not worry about your cancer spreading because of the trauma caused by the bleach.

However, all skin cancer patients must establish a follow-up care plan with their physician which includes routine screening for new skin cancers, including whole body skin examination by a health care professional. This is because many people treated for one skin cancer later develop other skin cancers. Also, people treated for skin cancer are encouraged to talk to their doctors about following a healthy diet that includes foods containing antioxidants. Sun protection is also essential to help prevent other skin cancers. You need to maintain a healthy weight, refrain from smoking, eat a balanced diet and have the recommended cancer screening tests.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Indranil Ghosh.
Thank you for such a detailed reply. I appreciate it. :-)
A related discussion, Do skin creams help basal cells was started.