Cancer Expert Forum
Small intestine lymphoma?

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

Small intestine lymphoma?
I have been having GI symptoms for almost a year and a half now, which have included intermittent, crampy abdominal pain, bloating, borborygmi, and altered bowel habits and stool consistency.

Over the summer I had a CT scan, which revealed a mildly prominent spleen.  A GI series revealed mild thickening of the jejunum and a transient intussusception.  Upper and lower endocscopies were normal.  Recently, a stool sample revealed traces of carbohydrates and fat, and recently my stools do seem to fit the description of steatorrhea.

I'm being treated for pancreatic insufficiency by taking enzymes but it's not helping.  I've had blood tests and an upper endoscopy, which would rule out celiac.

I am extremely concerned that this is a rare variant of primary small intestine lymphoma.  The thickening of the jejunum and the malabsorption particularly worry me.

Does lymphoma seem possible to you, or likely? Can there be idiopathic reasons for malabsorption, or perhaps even stress?
There are many causes of malabsorption. Often, despite extensive workup, the underlying cause is not determined.
Although I cannot say for certain that you do not have lymphoma, I can say that it is unlikely that you do.
You are 27, and have had gastro-intestinal symptoms for a year and a half, without any other "classic" signs like fever, weight loss, sweats, itching etc. This makes lymphoma a less likely diagnosis in your case.
Please consult a good GI physician. Also, you may consider a PET-CT scan just to be sure that the jejunal thickening is nothing to worry about.
All the best, and God Bless!
I should also mention I am 27.
A related discussion, constipation was started.