Cancer Community
Small liver lesions found?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Small liver lesions found?

I thank you for taking the time to read this because this has caused me significant anxiety this past week (I've been getting 3 hours of sleep on a good day). Recently, my 50 year old mother had called me and told me that she had a 1.6cm tumor on her liver and a tumor in her stomach (according to my aunt, the stomach one is more of a "shadow"  or an "echo" but my mom is convinced it is a tumor). I had just found out that the 1.6 tumor was the biggest one in the liver and that there were some smaller liver lesions as well. I've been quite frankly freaking out that it may be stomach cancer with mets to the liver or liver cancer. She has been more tired than usual, gets full much more easily, and has had some abdominal and chest pain lately that come and go periodically. There was one time that she felt significant pain in her chest, which I believe has prompted the doctor to look specifically into this. The doctor didn't let her see the report (I have yet to know what test it is even), and only described the basics to her. She will be getting her CT and biopsy done tomorrow. The doctor simply told my mother to have a happy holiday and that he will be there for her if anything happens. If the test was an MRI, ultrasound, or x-ray, could the doctor have differentiated from a sold cancerous growth, a cyst, or some of the benign tumors? Does he already think it is cancer...is that why he's getting her a CT and biopsy?

I'm sorry, I know I sound paranoid and I know that nothing can be certain until after reports come in but my whole world just collapsed when I heard about the growths (which according to my mom, the doctor believes are tumors) and how there are more than one in the liver. I haven't been able to sleep, have lost my appetite and can't even focus on the most important tasks I need to focus on. My roommates have convinced me to talk to a psychologist and sort through my anxiety and insomnia but I'm just so concerned about my mom.
I have now confirmed that the test was an ultrasound.
My father had similar issues. It wasn't until the biopsy that they found that his stomach issues were due to benign tumours/polyps.

You can't read the doctor's mind - if you are that concerned, I can't see why you can't call and speak to the doctor yourself (with your mother's permission) unless he's not being helpful.

As difficult as it is, you need to find a way to deal with your anxiety until you have more information.
my mother has no insurance so she is currently being treated at a teaching facility. her doctor is a resident at the hospital, with no contact information. Unfortunately, I do not believe I can ask him about it over the phone because it breaches patient's confidentiality (even with my mother's permission, which I'm thinking she won't grant because she doesn't want me to be concerned)