Cancer Community
Small lump Back of Neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Small lump Back of Neck

Doctor,

I am a 25 yr. old male who has a very small, probably .5 mm lump on the back of the left side of my neck.  I recently had a mole removed and biopsied, but it was on the right side of my back.  I had the dermatologist feel the lump, and he said it was probably a lymph node, but it was very small and moveable.  He said it was nothing to worry about.  I also had to recently (in the past week) visit the hematologist, because my PCP thinks I might have polythycemia vera.  My hemoglobin count has been elevated for about 3 years in the (17
A small neck bump that a dermatologist and hematologist said was nothing to worry about is probably nothing to worry about unless it changes and gets bigger, or doesn't go away after 2 weeks if it's an enlarged lymph node.

Dermatologists are very attuned to skin cancer and evaluate lumps in skin all day.

Hematologists are also trained in oncology, the study of cancer, and are very attuned to lumps that could represent cancer.

It sounds like you've gotten good advice, but if things change, go get rechecked

Enoch Choi, MD
The node has not changed in size, but I have been able to feel it for almost two months now.  I want to trust my dermatologist and hematologist, but I am sort of a hypochondriac.  

I guess they are trained, and if they were concerned, they would have done additional testing.

Don't you think?

Thanks,

T
About 3 years ago, I was mailing a package at a local store when the clerk mentioned the hot weather and we started talking about skin cancer.  She said that she was concerned about a mole on her stomach, but the doctor told her that it was nothing.  She insisted on a biopsy.  The next day the doctor wanted to see her immediately.  The mole was cancerous.  Then she had to have regular blood tests to check for cancer.  Go with your gut.  It is YOUR life and body after all.
I also  have the same kind of lump as Tarrigo but the only thing is that when my lumps get swallen I get painful headaches.The bump  comes and goes every two weeks. The first lump was right in back of my neck. Then after a month of so another one on the right side of it. And of course more headaches. Then another one to right of that the second. So now there is three. I know I need a check up but my appt is  not until next week.  Is this normal or should I really be concern?
Thanks!
I HAVE HAD A KNOT ON THE BACK OF MY NECK FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS NOW.  IT'S LOCATED ON THE LEFT SIDE ABOUT AN INCH FROM THE HAIR LINE AND AN INCH FROM THE SPINE.  JUST WONDERING IF IT MIGHT BE CANCER.  I HAD MY LOCAL DR. CHECK IT OUT AND HE SAID IT WAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.
My daughter has had a similar lump in her neck since she was born, 12 mths ago. It has grown, but it is more like it is growing with her.  It is the same size proportionately from when she was born.  I have seen a pediatrician, Family practitioner, and a pediatric surgeon.  So far everyone says that it is probably a lymph node and nothing to worry about.  The pediatric surgeon did comment that it was strange to see an enlarged lymph note at birth and for it to increase in size.  THAT MAKES ME WORRY. Question: what would cause this lymph node to be enlarged (is there something else wrong)? Who do I go see about this?  ...how about a ear nose and throat?