Cancer Community
Small lump on back of head... Please help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

I found a small lump on the back left side of my head almost two years ago. It is very hard, it doesn't hurt, and it does not grow in size. Sometimes I get bad headaches but go away shortly I'm not sure if these headaches are caused by this lump. I have been having a lot of ear infections in the past few years and I if was wondering if that could also be the cause of the lump.

Am I okay?
Is it cancer?

-Diana
hi, i found 2 small lumps on the back of my head, left side, sort of at the starting of my head where my neck ends, in those grooves in the back of your head. i found these 1 day after i took my kids to the county fair, which they talked me into riding some rides,( which i had not done in 20 years). one of the lumps have gone, but one still remains. i does not hurt and is the size of a pea. i have some swelling like that runs up my head and ends about in the middle of my head. that is where it hurts. it is sore all the way up and has like a burning feeling when i touch it. i have had this for 3 weeks now. and i am getting alittle scared. i have only had one headache since i have found this. i have had migranines since i was a teenager. i have not yet been to a dr. but thinking hard about going. this usually hurts more at night when i lay on my neck/head a certain way. any advice would be helpful
Are you able to move this lump when you also massage the area of scalp it's contained in? If so, then it could be a sebaceous cyst or something benign.

I just noticed I had one about 2 weeks ago and because I was pressing on it out of concern and curiosity, it became sore. However, I wasn't too worried and decided to do something a bit odd, but only because I had read so many positive things about this stuff: Vick's VapoRub.

I just rubbed some of that on the lump and within a week, it has gone away. It slowly shrank and I was left with a tiny, dry scab and then it has totally disappeared.

Just my experience but thought it may help.

-K
I have a hard solid lump on the back of my head that hurts to touch has been thereyears and has grown over time - I was told 5 years ago it was cyst and not to worry with no check being done I have recently suffered severe headaches - I use a computer all day at work also feel very stressed - do I need to worry

My 8 year old son has a lump the size of a marble on the left hand side of his head, just above the hairline.  The lump does not move and is not sore.  My paternal granmother passed away from non-hodgkins lymphoma 9 months ago which I understand may be genetic.  He has a Dr. appointment next week but I am quite concerned and was looking for some advice.  Thanks
I have had a lump on the back on my head for a few weeks, i went to the doctor and they said it was nothing, as it didnt hurt or anything, recently (this last week or so) i have been experiencing some quite bad headaches, and the lump hurts and has got bigger, what do you think it is, and what should i do?
My husband had one, right at the base of the skull at the hairline. It started small but over the course of a few years it grew from pea sized to golf ball sized. Turns out is was a cyst on a tendon. We were told they are rather common. He had to have it surgically removed but it was harmless, other than as it got larger, it cause headaches. That was last summer and he's been fine since. (They did biopsy to be safe, it was benign, as they had assumed)
Hello, My father passed away in december, but he always had those small hard knot/lumps on the back of his head too (dont worry he didnt pass away from that!) and i have them too, but if they dont bother you, except for the fact that they make you very curious, some of them are lymphnodes, and sometimes they are caused from stress, or hereditary, but if your still worried then ask your doctor. But it would also be a cyst, if it is then they will either draw fluid out of it, or remove it. Don't worry, Be happy, GOD IS IN CONTROL. :)
i also have a lump on the back of my head, its been there for about a year or two. I have seen a doctor and she said to come back if it gets larger. It has gotten larger, and i am beginning to have massive headaches that shoot from the top of my head, down to my neck. i am freaking out. i plan on seeing a neurologist or another type of doctor in that field of study. this lump is on my lower right side of my head. i am looking for advice .
- thannkk youu
my question is how may do u guys have ive had mine for three years and now i have two more i have had a c.a.t sceen and they said it was nothing major
yeah i had a lump in my throat that i thought was cancer just because i'm a freak sometimes, i went to a specialist and he said it was a cyst but just to be sure i had a biopsy. it was a lympthnode with a cyst growing in it and it was benign. i just found another one kind of in the same spot so once again i'm worried, and i also found one in the back of my head on the right side. i know the one in my head is a lymph node because i have another one on the opposite side its just smaller. lymph nodes can get swollen from a lot of things, because they filter out viruses and infections. don't worry if you are in this situation because it isn't worth it. wait until your doctor gives you information for that. i have my appointment today and hopefully everything goes ok. i also have headaches. not bad but noticeable.
hiya

i have a lump on the bottom left side of my head (near the hair line), which sounds pretty similar to other peoples on here. it doesnt hurt to touch and is very hard. i havent banged my head so have no idea how it got there? should i bother going to the drs or just leave it dya reckon?
I know it has been a long time since 2007 but did you ever find out anything about this?  
Hi Tanne14,

Good to know that you are making all ov the people here smile. Count me in, I am reading a lot of comment about lump and all it cost me is a severe FEAR inside me that I got a cancer or what, thank you for bringing back my composture.

Sincerely,
Dianne
My boyfriend has a knot on lower skull, he gets terrible migraines and his head seems to always hurt. He also has involuntary jerking at night and the other night he began shaking almost like a seizure. He doesn't have insurance so he hasn't gone in yet. A few years back he had some testing done but they told him nothing. I feel at this point he needs to go back...