Cancer Community
Soft Lump in Upper Thigh

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Soft Lump in Upper Thigh

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can be of assistance? I'm a 30 year old male, relatively healthy, who 18 months ago noticed a soft squishy lump (feels a bit like a grape although slightly smaller) in my upper front thigh (about 3 inches below the groin). The reason I noticed it was through having treatment for a pulled thigh muscle (same leg). Firstly, I put it down to scar tissue as a result of my thigh injury and left it as it caused me no discomfort, however, after about 5/6 months I had it examined (physical examination) by my GP who passed it off as a fatty build up, and requested that I observe it for changes etc and to report back if I noticed anything.

About 2/3 months after this initial examination, I had it examined again by another GP who instructed the same thing (observation for changes/discomfort). Nothing had changed from the 1st to 2nd examination apart from me looking for reassurance hence my reason for visiting the 2nd GP. 9 months further down the line and no changes noted but I am still concerned about it. I've decided to request an examination by a specialist but the reason I've written here is I'm concerned that if it is anything sinister, would I have noticed anything else symptoms wise after all this time (18 months). Secondly, is a simple physical examination by two GP's enough to rule out malignant tumours?

Any thoughts/reassurance/advice would be much appreciated.    

Best wishes.
Tags: lumps
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
How are you? What other symptoms are present? Physical examination may help determining the character of a mass or lump. Slowly growing benign tumors often present as a mass that pushes normal tissues aside, are well circumscribed or encapsulated, and are freely movable.  If it has been 18 months already with no changes in the lump, a benign mass is a possibility. To ease any doubt, it is best that you have this checked again for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.