Cancer Community
Swollen Lymph Node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Swollen Lymph Node

I have a swollen lymph node in my neck on the right side just below where the jaw curves up to the ear. It is painless, hard and fixed in one spot. It is about 2-3cm in diameter. It has been there for over 6 months. I have been researching about them and I have no symptoms that I know of related to infections or disease. I am scheduled  for a  lymph node biopsy (the needle one) soon. Do you only get a lymph
node biopsy when cancer is suspected? And could this be nothing as I have no symptoms? (also I have seen my doctor and he ddnt say much, just to get it biopsied, so I am looking for more information) thankyou
I just had the same thing and went to doc.  He took extensive blood tests and got the analysis back and by the time I went back to see him (within a week) the lymph node had already gone down.  He said we will just watch it and see if it comes back before biopsying it.  Good Luck!!
Believe it or not...my husband has had the same thing, in the same area for about 2 years.  It would swell up, and it would irritate him for a few days and go back down.  Until the last week of the year.  It would not go down and hurt tremendously.  It was a STONE IN THE SALIVA GLAND.  No lay person that we have talked had ever heard of it, but YES, you can get a stone there too.  The swelling had gotten so big that he felt like the throat was closing up.  He spit out most of the stones, but he still has to have one of those glands removed.  He spent 8 days in the hospital because of infection in the area, but Thank God, it was not cancer or anything like it.  I would recommend that you ask your Dr about this same possibility.  Good luck!  Dawn
Wow, that is so strange. Well that good everything is alright. Thanks for the heads up Dawn :)
Hey my daughter is 4 and for the past 2 weeks has had a swollen gland in her neck it has started to go down it bit and its not bothering her. She has had a bit of a cold but is in greta form I have to take her back to the doctor tomorrow but I have been out of my mind with worry