Cancer Community
Swollen Tonsils and Lymph Nodes, No pain, Tingling, weird stuff, help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Over the past year or so my tonsils have become extremely large; they were not always like this. This occurred painlessly and I did not even notice it for a while. The lymph nodes in my neck are also swollen, but they were not painful and I did not really notice them either. About four months ago I awoke to a numb tingling sensation in my left shin. This tingling and numbness occurred for roughly two months straight, and now it comes and goes. I have been feeling extremely fatigued and tired and a little out of it. This is very frustrating since I have a two jobs and college to deal with. It is literally disrupting my life. I have also been having a lot of headaches, which I normally do not have. For a year or so I have also been getting sores and cuts in my nose that come and go, although recently I have had them about four or five months. I also have been having fevers of 99.2-100, which is high for me since my temperature usually runs in the 96-97 range. I have also recently lost my appetite, but have still been eating as normally as possible, but I am still losing weight. I have gone to the Neurologist because they thought I had Multiple Sclerosis, but he looked at my MRI, said I was fine, and did not do anymore tests. Although I am not sure what he expected to find since I am only 18. I also saw a Rheumatologist and she check me for Lupus and all of the tests came back negative. There are several abnormalities on my blood test which included
CA-High 10.3
HCO3-High 30
TIBILI-Low <.1
Anion Gap-Low 6 (has been consistently low for four months)
Ferritin- 11
I just want somebody to be able to put this all together for me.
On a side note I am not sure if this has anything to do with this other stuff, could be totally unrelated, but I have also had bronchitis 3 times in the past year.
Sounds to me like a form of throat/oral cancer. You should really go see an ENT with all the symptoms you just posted i would not wait anymore and try to find answers online. That strongly suggests cancer. Although it may also be a very bad tonsil infection. Tonsils are a part of the imune system to fight things off so it can be infected. Go see an ent asap ok? Keep us posted!
Oh im so sorry i just noticed your age. Well correction oral cancer for you is very very highley unlikely. See if you have any bad teeth or cavities if so these can carry sever infection that will spread to the tonsils and nodes. Loseing weight is never good!! I would go get more MRI's and scans done just to rule things out. Over a year ago i was 165lbs i dropped down to 120bls In less then two months not trying to i ran to the er and got every scan and I am back up to about 160lbs and i watch and check my weight daily.Youll find a post on the main page where i am worried right now over throat cancer myself. Goodluck.
Thanks for your response. I have actually never had a cavity in my life. I will be going to the ENT in January and they're doing an ultra sound of my throat. But my tonsils do not appear infected at all according to my doctor. It may be the glands that are swollen. I am just worried about something like Hodgkin's. And I am so sick of doctors passing me around and not knowing what is wrong with me.
I hear ya.  I aint went to doctor yet at all because i go so much and scared to go. Some symptoms for me are better but today my voice is really horse and im still scared i may have oral cancer. Im so scared to goto the doctor cause i dont know what i will do if i hear those words. I'll pray for you and you pray for me..
Wow.  That's quite a load of symptoms.  I agree with MikeINC in so far as scheduling an appointment with a ENT.  I know how frustrating it can be, suffering many different symptoms and not getting an exact diagnosis.  Keep in mind though that if you need to talk I am here.  Feel free to leave me messages at my site anytime.
Rose~