Cancer Community
Swollen achy breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Swollen achy breast

For the past 6 months or so, I have had a pain in my left breast as well as in my left arm and shoulder/back... I have not strained anything and it is not muscle related. In the last week the breast has swollen on the top - increasing my breast by 1 cup size, and it feels exceptionally heavy and 'dense' I also have some change in texture within the breast (ridges) the aching is now much worse along with 'tingling' stabbing pain in the center of the breast and deep within the breast and my shoulder blade. My lymph nodes are not swollen and the breast is not red (no other changes) I do suffer from naturally lumpy breasts... but this is different.... it just feels 'wrong'. I went to my GP on Friday and she examined me and noted the swelling pain etc and then said I was fine and she would refer me to a consultant just to put my mind at rest.. but as she did not consider it an emergency I will have to wait 3 months.... surely if this is cancer then time is of the essence and 3 months could cost me my life... I know I'm only 32 and the risk is low but my sister had IBC at age 28 and nearly lost her life, my grandmothers on both sides also both had breast cancer at early ages (35 and 39) the former died from her breast cancer around the age of 36. Please help - I'm terrified that my doctor is wrong (she told me I couldn't have IBC because I didn't have a 'lump' that was supicious!!!! She was nice but utterly clueless).

As a side note; I also feel very tired (sleeping for up to 12 hours a day and I feel sick most of the time and can't eat very much).

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give, thank you so much.

Bria
Although you 'naturally' have lumpy breast and a doctor has found no "suspicious" lesions (both of which are reassuring signs), it would be prudent to investigate your symptoms a bit more urgently given your strong family history of breast cancer.
Have you ever had a mammography done? If so, what was the report?
It wouldnt harm if you got an FNAC of the swelling done.
A surgeons opinion would also be of value.
I wish you good luck!
Hello Bobby,

Thank you very much for your reply.

No, I haven't had any tests at all yet. But like you; my husband has decided that 3 months is far too long, so we're going back to my GP today to insist they bring my appointment with the specialist forward at least two months or else we're camping on the surgery floor. I don't normally make a fuss when I'm ill... but I just have a bad feeling about this.

Thank you again.

Bria