Cancer Expert Forum
Tamoxifen, Ovarian Cancer, CA125 rising

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

Tamoxifen, Ovarian Cancer, CA125 rising
I had surgery (hernia, found ovarian cancer) in Oct. 07. 3 rounds chemo, debulking surgery Jan. 08, 3 rounds chemo, hernia surgery/appendectomy June, 09. CA125 never went below 61, was slowing rising, to 161 in June, 09. Started Tamoxifen for 6 weeks, CA 125 now 723. Oncologist today said 3 possibilities: 1. Aberrant reading 2. Cancer has run amok (but not symptoms at this point) 3. Tam. caused everything to get stirred up, is still having positive effect. Plan for now is to wait 6 weeks, do CA125 again. I feel great, no symptoms at all. Is this good advice?
With ovarian cancer history and serial CA125 levels showing high results, we are probably not looking at an error in test reading or aberrant results. Nor can we blame Tamoxifen for causing the CA125 to surge from 161 to 723. We must assume that the disease is active, and need to stage and treat it.
You definitely need a full workup to re-stage the disease. The best way to do this is to get a PET-CT done. Now.
You have been relatively lightly treated so far. There are many effective drugs you could potentially benefit from.
Good Luck and God Bless!