Cancer Community
Throat Cancer? Need some advice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Throat Cancer? Need some advice

I was sick on Jan 6, the normal cold symptoms which included a sore throat. Went to the doctor, got Antibiotics and cough medicine. Got better, but then sore throat happened again on Jan 26. It went away with OTC meds. Got the symptoms of the common cold again on Feb 15 towards the evening which again included a sore throat. Went to the doctor again on Feb 20, got new antibiotics and cough medicine. All went away, and now this morning I wake up with another sore throat. My nose is stuffy (most of the time) and i do suffer from frequent sinus problems and allergies. My question is, does this have anything (or sound like) to do with Throat Cancer? I did smoke on and off about for 5 years, but have been clean for now 3 years. Cancer runs in my family, as my Grandmother did have Throat cancer and is currently battling Lung Cancer. Her major symptom when she learned she had throat cancer was a sore throat every day. My throat does not hurt everyday, but it seems I just can't shake this out of my system. We have had a pretty cold and snowy winter, so maybe that has something to do with it. I am concerned as I am only 23 going on 24. It seems every time my throat does hurt, I get all the common symptoms of a cold including a cough, stuffy nose, and just that normal "sick" feeling. I don't feel any lumps or anything and I don't have trouble swallowing.

Any ideas? I am planning to find an Ears, Nose, Throat doctor for maybe some further testing to just make sure. I don't want to go through what my Grandma went through.
Nice to see our Cancer forum gets no answers to questions.
Hi,  just wanted to say when people come here to answer questions its usually because they have gone through the same thing or know someone else who has, so its really pretty random on any given day.  If you go back to the home page and look on the right side of the screen there are forums for "ask a doctor."  You can try the cancer forum over there.  Seeing an ENT doctor is a good idea. Hope your grandmother is doing well.
My daughter, who has never smoked, has never had tonsillitus, had been diagnosed with it 4 times in 5 months, to the point where they were so swollen she had to have a steroid and antibiotic shot in the office and then stay on them....She recently got it AGAIN.  I took her to an ENT and he said no she didn't have tonsillitus, she had a PH disorder (basically acid reflux) and to go to a gastroentologist.  They would do a breath test and be able to tell.  She also thought about cancer since I do smoke (17 years now - I know I must quit)......So - go to the ENT or Gastroentologist if it occurs again......before your regular internist.....