Cancer Community
Throat Cancer Scare

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Throat Cancer Scare

Hi doc,
I'be never been so depressed in my life, Im an 18 year old male, who has smoked not a even a pack a day for about 10 months max, and I have a fear of having cancer. How long does it take for cancer to usually appear? I have read on google searches that throat cancer can attack anyone at any age? I have been off cigarettes for a while now, almost two months.
Well done on quitting. Keep it up. It takes years for cancerous cells to develop into something that would cause a symptom. Don't take that as advice to worry for years but just that you do not have cancer of the throat from smoking.
You didn't smoke for long so you have little chance of giving yourself cancer years from now, but now you have seen the light please don't start smoking again. Enjoy your late teens and leave the worry until later (never ideally) if you can.

Good luck.