Cancer Community
Very dark mole with black dots

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Very dark mole with black dots

Please help me. I am a citizen of the UK who is currently in Spain for the summer so I am unable to easily access my doctor. Today I noticed that there is a mole on the back of my shoulder which appears to be very dark. I have quite a lot of moles on my body, but the rest are like freckles and are light brown in colour. I looked at the mole in the light and it looked like there are black dots in the middle of it. Should I be worried? Especially as I have been in Spain for 2 weeks, and even though I have been wearing sun cream the sun is very powerful at the moment and a lot more than I am used to.

To tell you more about the mole, it is very small, maybe just less than a mm in diameter and is perfectly round and symetrical with no uneven or jagged edges. I am just worried because it seems so dark in comparison to my other moles. Also it is very slightly raised to the touch.

I can't remember seeing it there before, so it is either a new mole that has appeared from nowhere, an exisiting mole that has got darker in the sun, or it has been there all along and I've just not noticed it before.

Does this sound like a normal mole to you? Would it be normal for moles to go darker in the sunlight? Or should I try to see a doctor? The only problem is that being in a foregin country I'm not really sure how to go about this. And I'm not due to fly home for a couple of months so if this mole is dangerous, I really don't want to wait that long to see someone.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

A perfectly round and symmetrical mole suggests that most probably it is a benign one.

If the mole starts changing in size, develops jagged edges, changes color, becomes crusty and starts to bleed, indicates that the mole is becoming a cancerous mole or melanoma.

I would suggest you to avoid sun between 10 am and 3 pm as that is the time when it is the strongest, wear full sleeved clothes, sunglasses etc. If possible you can get a dermatological examination done as well although right now from your description it does not seem to be worrisome.
Take care!

um leelee555 im 12 years old and i looked for a mole site andim scared of the mole on my back also its light brown with dark brown dotys inside and its scary
Oh and my Grandmother has like big brown dotzs on her leg and she is 49 and she thought is was age spots but it was above skinand was kinda crusty but has never bleed and she looked it upon the computer and she thinks it might be melenoma but shes not sure