Cancer Community
What a pain in the neck!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

What a pain in the neck!

A few weeks ago, I found a 3cm X 3cm (measured by marking the skin) hard/rubbery lump on the right posterior triangle of my neck.  It is about 3 inches below the occipital lobe and easily seen.  My right ear hurts intermittently; however, the doc found no infection.  About 3 months ago I had what appeared to be a sever upper respiratory infection.  I took antibiotics, nebulizer treatments, and put on allergy meds.  The situation improved.  Due to the lump, I was put on antibiotics again, sent for an ultrasound and chest XRay, and a CBC was done.  CBC, XRay came back OK and I finished the antibiotics.  Just yesterday, I noticed the lump had shrunk a little.  My ultrasound came back and stated something about a "complex neck mass with surrounding tissue inflammation. The ultrasound tech measured it as 1.5 X 1.5 cm. My physician told me the results, I now wish I had also gotten a copy of the report.  I am now being sent for an MRI with/without contrast in a few days.  What are the odds that this is a malignancy?  Could it be lymphoma, or more likely a solid tumor?  Lipoma? Cyst? Thanks in advance.

PS:  I am a 43 year old female.

This discussion is related to N.H.Lymphoma.
  • Neck
    A few weeks ago, I found a 3cm X 3cm (measured by markin...[more]
  • lump
    my 11 month old son has a lump on the back of his head. ...[more]