Cancer Community
What are the chances I've got some sort of cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Alright guys. Let me first say that I get really nervous about cancer and stuff like that, and whenever I get a symptom that seems a little bit different than normal, I try looking it up on Google and "find out" I've got cancer. I'm a hypochondriac for sure. Maybe you guys can help with this one.

I'm a male, 21 years old. I've never smoked, drank, or had any type of drug. I am exposed to second-hand smoke sometimes, because my uncle smokes in the garage... but it's not much in my opinion. I work at a machine shop (have for two years) and there are some chemicals in there that I should undoubtedly try to avoid. Hopefully I won't have to work there much longer.

Last year I had ear infections in both ears. After the pain went away with the help of antibiotics, my ears have always felt in the morning like there's water trapped in them. The doctor just told me it might take a while for the water to drain out. It's been a long time, and it's still going on.

The main question now though is this: I've had a sore throat for about 2 weeks. I don't have a cough, really, just a dull pain in my throat under my Adam's apple. I only really feel it when breathing. When I exercise, it is even more obvious, but I don't think I'm at a loss of breath or anything like that. Really my only symptom seems to be dull pain, and clearing my throat either because I'm thinking about it too much or because it needs to be cleared.

Do I have anything SERIOUS to worry about, or is this likely just something minor? One other thing is that I've been eating a lot more fish lately but I doubt if I've gone too far over my mercury allowance.

Tell me I don't have lung/throat cancer, I'll be the happiest kid in the world!
Hi there!

Sore throat for 2 weeks is a short duration of symptoms and does not categorize as a risk factor for malignancy. This sounds more like a regular throat infection/ inflammation. You may consider an evaluation by an ENT doctor for the stuffy feeling in your ears as well as the throat irritation.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!