What does this part mean?
My husband had a ct scan and the results are not good. There is a lobulated mass in the left lower lobe measuring 2.5cm in diameter. He will be having a PET scan Wed. and see his doctor again on Thursday. My question is ...on this ct report it says....There does not appear to be visable calcifications and vascular structures extend into this lesion, which does not enhance significantly. What does that mean????? I would like to know ASAP it's driving us crazy and will if I have to wait until Thursday. Please help if you can.
Thanks,
Cathy in Tn
Liver lesions are difficult to characterize, so on imaging they look for certain things to rule in or rule out the different types of lesions.  Sometimes liver lesions are hard calcifications (hard and cyst like), and the CT Scan statement seems to exclude that as a diagnosis.  The lack of vascular structures and enhancement can mean good things when looking at a liver lesion because primary liver cancer is usually vascular and enhances on certain phases of ct-scan imaging.  Most liver lesions are benign, and primary liver cancer would be highly unusual unless your husband had pre-existing liver disease.  Hope that helps, and I hope your husband gets good news from the doctor tomorrow. Best wishes.
The CT is of his lungs not liver. So what do you think all that means about the lungs?
Thanks,
Cathy