Cancer Community
What does this pathology report mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

What does this pathology report mean?

In 2003 I was diagnosed with papillary carcinoma with a follicular variant(thyroid cancer).  I have had radiation, but it didn't work.  The cancer metastisized to my lymph nodes a year later.  Since then...I have had a total of 5 surgeries on my neck an am fortunate to say I'm in remission.
Over the course of the last year I have had 2 lymph node excissions which were sent to pathology.  The first was a needle biopsy. The results were: Sample (A) atypical lymphoid proliferation - comment: There is an atypical lymphoid population. The cells are predominately small to intermediate with irregular membranes and coarse clumped chromatin.  Several larger forms are present, a few of which have atypical nuclear features.  No thyroid parenchyma is present. Further investigation with excisional biopsy and fresh tissue sent for flow cytometry is recommended.  Sample (B) rare acinar cell group - comment: There are only a few groups of acinar cells possibly from minor salivory gland.  No lymph node parenchyma is present. No malignancy is present.
My endocrinologist called me and told me that I no longer had thyroid cancer, that it looked like I now had lymphoma and that there was not enough of a sample to type it. Due to what I was told, I had a lymph node removed from the area of my neck where the biopsy was done.  The pathology report said: lymphoid dysplasia.
I was told by my doctor that I just had a virus and there was nothing to worry about.  This is very confusing to me.  Can someone shed some light on this for me?  What do the pathology reports mean?