Cancer Community
What is the normal range of CA 19-9

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

What is the normal range of CA 19-9

What is normal range of CA 19-9
Tumor markers are molecules occurring in blood or tissue that are associated with cancer and whose measurement or identification is useful in patient diagnosis or clinical management.
CA 19-9 is the most sensitive and specific marker currently used in the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Its interpretation, however, can be limited in the presence of certain nonmalignant diseases that have been correlated with elevated serum levels of CA 19-9.
CA 19-9 upto  <40 U/mL is the normal reference value. The mean normal value is 7 U/ml.
CA 19-9 is elevated primarily in patients with carcinoma of the gastro-intestinal tract.
The greatest usefulness of CA 19-9 is with pancreatic cancer. 65% of patients with pancreatic cancer will have CA 19-9 levels greater than 120 kU/L.
ref:http://www.sydpath.stvincents.com.au/tests/CA199.htm
if there is a cancer pancreas patient whom i know had some confusing resulte regarding his CA19-9 level, can you please help me in interpreting them. On dec 2008, his CA19-9 was 2622 U/ml( done on Architect) with a normal reference range 0-37.He then repeated it with the same methodology on Jan2009 and it was 2203 U/ml.Finally he did it  a month later but on a different macchine (Liason) with a normal reference range of 0-19 U/ml and it shown to be 991 U/ml. My question is does this mean  real  improvment in patient condition or just a difference due to different methodologies (keeping in mind that both use the same units but differ in setting their normal reference range)

Dear Dr. Roque:

thank so much for reading these lines, I am very concern about the test result of my mother , she had one colon surgery cause of sigmoid colon (tumor being diagnosed), she got a period of chemo therapy , 3 months after her chemo was finished she gave a test last week , in immunology section her CA 19-9 : 11.0 & CEA : 1.32 . tell me please what does exactly this means??

with deepest wishes.

shahram
My level was 42.5 with 35 or lower being the norm according to the paperwork.  how high does it have to be for the docs to be concerned?
My level for the 19-9 was a 42,  My doctor is checking for cancer in the tail of the pancreas.  I had a endocscopic ultrasound with a FNA biopsy.  The results were inconclusive as to whether the cyst was serous or mucin.  The cyst is 3.2x2.7 and it had dark brown fluid which was aspirated and sent to lab.I will meet again with the surgeon.  Should I have he cyst removed even if it is not cancer?
My amylase was 28 abd CEA 1.5,  What do those numbers mean
Should I be worried?
My Mom also done the test for tumer marker they found that CA 19-9 :31KIU/L and CEA: 6uq/L, ALP: 170 is this can suggest a cancer she has a mass or tumor of 2.5x1.8cm in head of pancreae done by CT scan and confirmed by MRI can this be removed by operation or can anyone suggest anything please???
My mom had a CA 19-9 Blood Test and her level came back 998 H
Can someone please tell me what this shows
Hello!
My daddy's CA19-9 came back as 156.  Is this very high?  I know that the normal number is 35 and below.  Daddy has a malignant tumor in the head of his pancreas, as well as one in the liver.  He began chemo this week.