Cancer Community
What should I do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

What should I do?

Sorry if this is long, but I would like to give as much detail as I can. I am a 22 year old female from central Pennsylvania. I currently have no medical insurance and am not working.In 2005 I ended up with phnemonia in my right lung and was placed in ICU for 2 weeks dignosed with a severe asthma attack. I did not know I had asthma before that. I was a smoker before the asthma attack and I still am. I am currently trying my hardest to quit smoking. My family has a long history of cancer and heart problems. My grandmother died of throat cancer on my mothers side. In 1993 my mother was diagnosed with throat cancer. They were able to completley cure it but she died in 2002 from alchohal abuse and liver failure. (No I don't drink alchohal). My grandfather on my fathers side died from lung cancer. In early 2007 my father was diagnosed with lung cancer wich spread and killed him in July in 2007. 2 Grandparents and both of my parents have had cancer. Honestly that is a scary thought. I grew up around smoking and became used to it but now I know the dangers and am trying to quit.

Recently I have had asthma issues and have visted the emergency room several times. I have been having trouble breathing at night and sometimes even feel as if I stop breathing in my sleep. I have also been having a strange growling/vibration in my left side just under my rib cage. No pain and completley strange to me. Also I have alot of upper back pain, though I have been told in the past I may take muscle spasms in my back from a doctor. I told the doctors this and they gave me a chest xray and said I may have the start of bronchitis. They gave me a few breathing treatments, shot of steroids, put me on a package of steroid pills, Robitussin AC and more breathing treatments at home. I finished all of my medication and take the breathing treatments as needed. I am feeling slightly better but not 100%. Also I am always tired and can't seem to put on weight. I am only 108 lbs. and I eat like crazy. Though I seem to be losing weight not gaining it.

My question is this. 1. Due to my history and my current asthma and bronchitis should I and if so how could I get tested for cancer? I have no medical insurance and am not working but I plan to get some form of insurance as soon as possible, I am asking friends to help me with this matter. 2. Can cancer be hereditary? 3.Would my weight factor and sleepyness mean anything bad?  
I plan to ask these questions to a doctor when I see him/her once i get the insurance. I would just like to know if any of these signs could be something seriously wrong or if i'm just overly worried about my health. I don't have anyone to ask except for a grandfather whom i do not want to concern. Please help answer these few questions for me, any help would be appriciated-Thankyou.