Worried about lung catscann
I am having a repeat Catscan done on Weds.   - I have mild asthma with a small amt of scarring at the base of my one lung which has been there a long time.  In the process of checking that - Dr. found a very small spot about half the size of a little fingernail in one of the upper lobes.  He said he isn't concerned at all ( didn't show up on my regular chest xray - only a catscan can pick it up) but given lung cancer history in my family but moreso to make me feel better, he is repeating the scan to check for any growth.    My question:   What else could it be?
Hi.  "Spots" or opacities in the lung seen on chest x-ray or CT scan do not necessarily indicate cancer.  They may be a "scar" or calcification from a previous lung infection, such as pneumonia or tuberculosis.  Since the spot is pretty small (it can't be seen on chest x-ray, so it's probably less than a centimeter), my suggestion is to delay repeating the scan for 2-3 months so that any difference in size would be  more marked and more easily detectable.