Cancer Expert Forum
adenocarcinoma of liver

MedHelp's International Cancer forum. Questions related to Cancer will be answered by a medical expert.

adenocarcinoma of liver

Hello, my 19 year old niece has just been told that she has stage three adenocarcinoma. It's all over her liver and has spread to every major organ. She doesn't think she has a chance to survive this cancer so she is refusing treatment. We are all trying to sway her differently but don't really know what her odds are. Can anyone tell me what kind of % of cure she will have with treatment?

Thank you so much for your input.
Sonja
What is the primary organ where adenocarcinoma first started, that has now spread to the liver? Is it the colon?
There are many effective therapies available even for advanced cancers. Even if "cure" is not achieved, there can be very significant benefits in terms of prolonged survival and improved quality of life. Your niece is no doubt very distressed, and needs your support, optimism, and encouragement. Please discuss in detail with your niece and her treating team of oncologists.
All the best, and God Bless!
It seems as if the cancer started in the lymphnodes but the doctors are just assuming this, it hasn't been confirmed yet.
What symptoms did your niece have? Did she have the flushing of the face with loose stools? How about abdominal pain or chest pain? My 15 year old has been expeiencing this for about the past 6 months that I have been aware of, probably longer except for the flushing, that I am not sure about. Her 24 hour urine came back elevated but some of her blood tests came back normal and some came back High for other disorders  ilke Thyroid and High IGD . What is up ?

I pray that your niece does get treatment. 19 is too young to give up. My daughter is so miserable some days. And she has daily headaches due to a congenital brain defect and they are getting worse.

Bonnie
Perhaps it is more likely that the adenocarcinoma spread to the lymph nodes later, after originating in an abdominal organ. We will wait for the final report on this.

Thanks lil sunshine for the comments. I agree that she should give modern medicine a chance, and not give up without a fight. How is your daughter overall? Has a final diagnosis been established and treatment begun?
Good Luck!
I just got an update. They think the place of origin is the cervix. They also think this cancer has been invading her body since junior high.
lol sunshine...her symptoms were silent until the last two months, when she started just feeling like she had the flu then she started having terrible back aches. Her mother took her to the ER thinking she had kidney stones. They took an Xray and saw that she had a liver 4X the normal size and the cancer in her liver was so large that you could see the markings clearly. She left the ER and was admitted immediately.
There is a definite role of chemotherapy in the treatment of metastatic carcinoma cervix, and I encourage her to consider a course of chemo. Please discuss all options with your niece and the rest of the family and the team of doctors.
Good Luck!
Same with my daughter, she kept complaining to her Uro dr for months that she was passing yet another KS and he would order another renal lasix or CT and NO it wasn't a stone. Then I would take her to the ER or her dr. But as the months go by she has been more miserable. Since Jan she has been having flushing(1st I have noticed) and she has been complaining of chest pain.

I hope she will try everything the DRs can give her. God would want her to try to live .
Bonnie
lil sunshine, if she has has a ct scan, I think that would verify that she is cancer free in kidney area. To, me that is a good sign. What other actions via M.D.'s have you taken?
She hasn't had a recent CT or MRI, just a head MRI, it was inconclusive , due to her mouth harware and braces. She hasn't even had a recent US even though I took her to the GYN last month as she was having 2 periods in a month, her words, first time ever for her. Even when she had the ovarian "mass" at 11 yrs of age that turned out to be benign, she never had any menstral irregularities. The dr just looked at me and said if it were me he would be worried but she is only 15 so ......I think he should have done more than just a pelvic exam, She complained of almost passing out. Today she had to go to the clinic at school, she said she felt like she was going to pass out. She looks like death warmed over, so pale with dark circles under her eyes.
I think you need to take her to a different hospital
I like this military hosp, it is a very big teaching hospital in the news a lot. There are good drs at every hospital and bad ones as well.

Mary also started her period again , abnormal bleeding, she should not be having trouble with this. If it were me I could understand this but her no. I suspect another ovarian problem on top or some kind of carcinoid in the ovary? Who knows?