Cancer Community
bloating after colon cancer resection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

bloating after colon cancer resection

My husband had colorectal cancer and had a colon resection 5 weeks ago with a permanent colostomy. His tumor was very low down in his rectum.   He did fairly well for a couple of weeks except for the expected pain and soreness.  His abdomen has healed nicely. However, he still has some complications.   He is still finding it difficult to sit and is still having drainage from his rectum which is a mixture of blood and pus.  He has to wear a pad.  Within the last week, he has started having a lot of bloating which is very uncomfortable. He has a slight temp elevation at times, not all the time.   His stoma seems to be working ok.  My question is are these symptoms common or normal after this length of time and if they are,  how long can we expect them to last?  Is there  anything I can do to help any of these symptoms?
Thank you very much.
From the posts I have read these symptoms are common.my mother had same surgery and still has bouts of blotting,fullness&sometimes diarrhea and constipation. She might have a good week and then all of a sudden she might start having these symptoms.
     I'm dealing with the same monster ....my rectum recision ,and colostomy where done in Dec 2008....My only complaint was the stitches on my butt took too long to dissolve it was like sitting on nails..for 7 weeks....I just this month had Laproscopic microwave liver ablation surgery...as a result of the cancer going to my liverless radical then the prior operation but much more pain,,,the leak in the rectum area should be addressed asap as it may be an indication of a perferated colon don't wait...they told me if I had that side effect to come in immedietly...good luck and great health to you.....chocsea