Cancer Community
blood in semen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

blood in semen

I am a pretty healthy 36 year old male.  I have noticed a small lump much like a vein in my penile shaft.  It does not bother me unless I am or become erect.  It was painful during intercourse and I had some bloody show in my semen.  I have done some research on the computer, but nothing I find shows all these symptoms.  Should I be concerned or is this something that will heal on its own?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  I think you should have yourself examined by a urologist at the soonest time possible.  The blood in the semen and the lump in the penile shaft may all  be symptoms of infection (urethritis or epididymitis) in that area.  That condition might not heal on its own so you really need to see a doctor promptly.
Thank you for your feedback.  I have done some research on the infections that you had noted in your response earlier.  From the information I found, these infections occur in the testicles.  I do not have any pain, swelling or discomfort in my testicles.  Are there any other medical conditions associated with my symptoms?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.  If the infection does not involve your testicles, you may not feel any pain or swelling there.  As I've said, the infection may be in your epididymis (a convoluted tube found above the testicle), the prostate gland or the urethra, not necessarily the testicles.  Other conditions which can cause blood in the semen would include cancer (usually prostate cancer) or any traumatic injury to the genital tract.  Prostate cancer most often happens to elderly men, not someone your age, so I'm not highly considering this condition.