Cancer Community
blood in the urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

blood in the urine

I'm 28 yrs old & i have been married for 2 yrs. I got laproscopy done an year ago & from that point of time, i had blood in my urine which was discovered when urine test was done by my gynicologist. So nearly for 8 months this is the same it has not decreased but the amount of blood has been increased & now they have recommended to a urologists.i would like to know the reason & also anything to worried in this case as i'm bit afraid....

This discussion is related to Blood in Urine.

There could be several causes for the symptoms you are having.

The facts that the blood in urine has been there for an year now, and that the quantity is increasing - are a cause of concern. It would be best to consult a urologist and get yourself investigated for a confirmed diagnosis.

Are you on any medications currently?

Is there any significant past medical history? Do you have any symptoms of burning micturition, passage of clots, pain abdomen, etc?

You would need to rule out the following causes in consultation with your specialist -

* Fever
    * Strenuous exercise
    * Mechanical trauma (masturbation)
    * Menstruation
    * Foreign bodies
    * Urinary tract infection
    * Hypercalciuria/urolithiasis
    * Sickle cell disease/trait
    * Coagulopathy
    * Tumors
    * Drugs/toxins (NSAIDs, anticoagulants, cyclophosphamide, ritonavir, indinavir)
    * Anatomic abnormalities (hydronephrosis, polycystic kidney disease, vascular malformations)
    * Hyperuricosuria

You could read more about this at the following links -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hematuria

and

http://www.emedicine.com/PED/topic951.htm

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have an appointment with urologist this month, along with two more appointments with rheumatologist and gynacologist too. I have been under steroids for nearly 20 days before 6 months for sudden pain in joints. They suspected it to be a rheumatic arthritis. But, they could not confirm and also the steroids dint work and i gained weight without subsiding the pain.  Here in germany, the doctors generally prescribe Ibuprofen which I even used 20 days back. These are the medicines i took as of now.
for the past one week, I had loose motions and pain in the abdomen while urinating. And now a days, I could feel the giddiness and vomiting sensation quite often.