Cancer Community
can eating marijuana food stuff really hurt you

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Is marijuana harmful to people who do not have liver disease to begin with? I am curious because chemotherapy patients use it for lingering nausea, increasing appetite and for sleep. I recently read the FDA indications of THX in pill form and it seems to be more harmful than pesticide free indoor grown California marijuana or pure oil made from the same CA plants. I wish there was a straight story about this. I am a cancer patient and leery to take those pills, or smoke Marijuana. I do not have cancer in any of my vital organs, never drank or took drugs, no medication other than low dose aspirin, and blood pressure pills. Does any doctor do any studies on this?
I kind of understand your question but when you ask if marijuana is harmful to people who do not have liver disease does that mean marijuana is in fact harmful for those of us who do have a liver disease?

Will you please post the link for the story you read so we can all be on the same sheet of music?
Good catch

Jane613, an answer to ID's question would really help here

Either way I wish you the best
Unfortunately there is little research on marijuana because of it's illegal status.
Because it is classified as an illegal drug it is used as a reason to disqualify people from getting a liver transplant.

There is only one study I know of which was used with heavy drinkers and involved marijuana smoking. It claimed smoking it was bad for fibrosis.
My opinion is the study is seriously flawed.

I used cannabis brownies while doing tx to help with the side effects of interferon. After experiencing intense muscular pain within hours of the interferon shot, I began eating a brownie after my weekly injections.
The brownie helped me sleep and took the pain away.

My experience is that the edibles are more physical, giving me an increased appetite, causing drowsiness and relaxing my muscles.

We do have member who's doctor prescribed it for her. She uses a vaporizer which is a smokeless way to smoke. ( if that makes sense )
Do you have hepatitis C? You say you don't have liver disease.
This is a forum for people who are interested in sharing ideas about hepatitis C.

Since you have cancer and your question revolves around cancer I think it would be more helpful to either ask your oncologist your question, seek information at the National Cancer Institute or post your question in a cancer forum where this topic is commonly discussed. We have no expertise in cancer (except cancer of the liver arising from liver disease), its symptoms or its treatment.

Good luck. I hope you beat your cancer.

Hector
Looks like it got move to the cancer forum?

Hector
I have been looking for the article and I believe it was posted in the Hepatitis forum in medhelp. I just can't find it. The study was very small and actually not that reliable. It indicated that people who already had hepatitis c and smoked (I am not sure about eating) marijuana every day developed more fibrosis in the liver. I was wondering if any one knew of a reliable study concerning the effects of marijuana on a person who did not have hepatitis was the same, causing more problems of the liver.
The link is in medhelp Hepatitis forum and I can't find it.
I forgot to thank you for the good wishes.
Yes, this is the same study. There is also a study from USC San Diego, I believe that related marijuana usage as a pain reliever for arthritis was shown. It was a fast read for me and because I was on too much of a med I can't remember much of it. I am in California, and things are more realistic here. The problem is the women I know have told me the dosage found in dispensaries for the most part are too strong. I am only doing research at the moment.
You are right Hector, I realized I had posted it in the wrong place and posted in the cancer forum. I wish all of you the best.