Cancer Community
cervical cancer risk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

cervical cancer risk

my ex girlfriend reciently found out that she has cervical cancer. we have been apart for a year.
im wondering how quickly cancer shows up from the infection of hpv. should i be concerned about infection since we did share toys. background info i have been with a four other girls and she has dated both males and females about 7 or 8. would this hpv infection have to have taken place before me or is it a possibility that it came after me and what are my chances of cancer due to possible infection?
  • Question (1 replies):
    Hi I just have a general question. My partner received r...[more]
  • cervical cancer (1 replies):
    do genital warts cause cervical cancer
  • hpv (1 replies):
    i have been diagnosed with hpv and im only 19 i go to my...[more]
  • I have a few questions: (1 replies):
    What is HPV? Who can get HPV? Is there a way ...[more]
  • Gardisil-Hpv (5 replies):
    Why is the gardisil vaccination not given to boys?
Avatar n tn

It is difficult to say if your ex-girlfriend contracted the HPV from you or from some one else.The fact is, HPV affects people with Mutiple sex partners.And there is no time frame for the cancer to manifest after initial contact ,it differs from person to person.

HPV infection can occur in both male and female genital areas that are covered or protected by a latex condom, as well as in areas that are not covered. Although the effect of condoms in preventing HPV infection is unknown, condom use has been associated with a lower rate of cervical cancer.

Recently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a vaccine that is highly effective in preventing infection with types 16 and 18, two “high-risk” HPVs that cause most (70 percent) cervical cancers, and types 6 and 11, which cause most (90 percent) genital warts (4).

Please consult a surgical oncologist ,have a physical examination done on you by him.but,there are currently no tests approved to detect HPV infection in men. Possibly genital warts could be detected on examination.

Good luck